History of the Canadian Ladies' Golf Association
HISTORY OF THE CANADIAN LADIES' GOLF ASSOCIATION
Although early records indicate that lady golfers were paying annual dues and holding monthly competitions as early as 1891, the first Canadian Ladies' Championship wasn't conducted until 1901 at the Royal Montreal Golf Club by the gentlemen of the Royal Canadian Golf Association. An interprovincial match between
At the historic 1913 championship, which was the first "Open", Canadian women golfers bonded together. Founded by Florence Harvey, the Canadian branch of the Ladies' Golf Union was formed with a membership of 37 clubs. Due to the war, the championships together with organized golf were discontinued in 1914. Women golfers in
The first Annual Meeting was conducted in 1920. As the interest in ladies' golf grew, provincial branches were formed. The records lack the exact birth dates of the individual branches but it would appear those organizations were formed as follows: 1921 Quebec, 1922 Manitoba, 1925 Maritime Branch; 1926 Saskatchewan; 1926 Ontario (previously administered by the National Officers as the head office was in Toronto); 1928 Alberta; 1933 British Columbia.
In 1924, the CLGU assumed responsibility from the RCGA of the Open Championship and in 1925, junior golfers were permitted to enter the Championships as a result of a hard fought battle by Ada Mackenzie.
In 1936, the CLGA separated from the LGU.
The championships were cancelled during the Second World War. However, the CLGU raised $82,000 and purchased a Spitfire for presentation to the British Government, three mobile kitchens, three Fordson vans, an ambulance as well as made donations to the relief of child victims of the war, the Hospital for Sick Children, and the Royal Canadian Navy.
In 1947, the National Open resumed at the Toronto Golf Club and for the first time each of the Provinces had a team entry for the Inter-Provincial Team Matches.
In 1954, the Maritime Branch divided into three divisions -
In 1966, the Canadian Ladies' Golf Union changed its name to the "Canadian Ladies' Golf Association" which remains the governing body of ladies' amateur golf in
In 1971 the first Canadian Senior Ladies' Championship was held and with teams representing all provinces.
In 2004-2005, the Canadian Ladies’ Golf Association amalgamated with the Royal Canadian Golf Association.