Women's Golf in Canada Timeline
NSLGA & CLGA
1896 Ladies’ golf was first played in the Province. Golf started in
1901 First Canadian Ladies’ Championships conducted by the men of the RCGA.
1902? Windsor Golf Club was situated on the site of
1903 Lingan Golf & Country Club was formed.
1906 Truro Golf Club was established.
1908 Yarmouth Golf Club was founded.
1909 Amherst Golf Club came into existence. The game was played with clubs consisting of a $3.50 Brassie, a cleek, a mashie and a putter each costing $1.50.
1913 Canadian ladies’ Golf Union formed.
1916 Brightwood Golf and Country Club established.
1921 Ken-Wo Country Club was incorporated and there were two ladies as charter members--Hilda Johnson and Lady Margaret Townshend.
1924 CLGU assumed responsibility for Canadian Ladies’ Open Championship replacing RCGA.
1926 Maritime Branch of the Canadian Ladies’ Golf Union was founded.
1928 First Provincial “meet” held at Brightwood Golf and Country Club. This was a two-day medal play. There were 18 golf clubs in the province at the time. Mrs W. T. Allen was the President for
1934 Prize at the “Provincial Meet” for the most suitably dressed golfer--three awards were made.
1935 Constitution formulated and adopted in 1935 for the Nova Scotia Ladies (still part of the Maritime Branch).
1953 There were 199 players with established handicaps.
1954 Nova Scotia Ladies’ Golf Association established. Prior to this
1955 For CLGU Junior Championship was held in conjunction with the Amateur.
1957 Youth Trophy first awarded to the Junior Champion. Rita Lohnes was the first winner. She was inducted into the Nova Scotia Sports Hall of Fame in 19xx. Her daughter won the Canadian Junior at Abercrombie in 19xx.
1959 Mary Fenton who started her golf in May entered the Provincial Open in the 3rd Division, but by the final day of play she was among the finalists in the running for the Championship. She won the Junior prize for the Meet, as well as the Low Net (54 holes) for the whole Field, and she hit three drives in the Driving Competition to outdistance her nearest rival, Rita Lohnes, by about 30 yards.
1960 Mary Fenton won Nova Scotia Junior title.
1964 The first Open and Closed Nova Scotia was held concurrently. Paragon Golf Club was opened for operation. It was founded as a company and companies as well as individuals were part of it. Digby Pines and
1971 First Nova Scotia Senior Ladies’ Team was selected. First separate Canadian Senior Ladies’ Tournament held at the Ladies’ Club of Toronto,
1973 Provincial Junior became a two day tournament. The CFDR Trophy was established for the Open Champion for the Junior Championship.
Canadian Senior Ladies’ held in
1975 28 clubs; approximately 2,000 members. First RINGER published on the 20th anniversary of the NSLGA (1955). Canadian Ladies’ Amateur was held at Oakfield and the Canadian Junior at Brightwood.
CFDR Radio Tray for the Champions in the
1977 Margaret Bishop finished second at the Canadian Senior in
1978 The Nova Scotia Amateur Team won the first Interprovincial Tournament in
1979 The Interprovincial included
1980 31 clubs, 1,930 members. The Nova Scotia Amateur Ladies’ Team won the Low Net at the Canadian Championship. The Junior Team won the Team Championship in
1981 Kathy Powers was ranked 10th in
1983 50th anniversary of the Nova Scotia Ladies' Amateur Championship.
1984 31 clubs, 2,163 members. Fifteen of the clubs were 18 holes.
The first Bowater Senior Provincial Tournament was held at Abercrombie Golf and Country Club (two-day tournament)--Lillian Swanburg was the champion. Bowater Mersey donated a wooden trophy called “Grace and Form.” It was still a requisite to compete in the Nova Scotia Amateur Provincial Tournament in order to be eligible for the Senior Provincial Team).
1985 32 clubs, 2,419 members. Ken-Wo Country Club hosted the Canadian Junior Championship (first time it was held in
1986 33 clubs, 2,520 members; Parrsboro joined the Association.
1987 36 clubs, 2,465 members; Springhill, LePortage and River Oaks joined. The Senior Team of Margaret Bishop, Barb McKeil, Lillian Swanburg, and Pat Nickerson won the 1st Low Net at the Canadian Championship. (Ringer has article on Lib Connors and poem by Dot)
1988 36 clubs, 2,797 members; Joanne Johnson named to Canadian Team to
North American Life Mother/Daughter & Junior/Non-Junior discontinued. These divisions became part of the NSGA’s Family Classic.
1989 On December 31, North American Life discontinued its sponsorship of the Family Classic.
1989 37 clubs;
The 1989 Interprovincial competition held in
1990 38 clubs, 2,902 members; Belmont joined the Association. (Trivia from the past and info on Wendy Seaman trophy in RINGER).
1990 40 clubs, 2,894 members;
1991 Write-ups on Northumberland, Brightwood and
1992 40 clubs, 3,060 members; Canadian Senior held at Brightwood. Course records published in Ringer.
The 1992 Interprovincial Tournament was hosted by
1993 40 clubs; 3,140 members; Lib Connors and Miriam Penny inducted into the Nova Scotia Sports Hall of Fame. Prior to their induction four other lady golfers had been inducted: Dorothy Holmes in 1980; Edith Bauld in 1981; and Maisie Howard and Rita Lohnes in 1982.
1994 Kathy Powers won her 13th Nova Scotia Ladies’ Amateur title. Her first win in the Amateur was in 1976 at
1995 RINGER has song re matches.
2002 Canadian Ladies' Amateur Championship held at Ken-Wo Country Club
1996 Heather Wilbur of
The 1996 edition of The Ringer had wonderful write-up re NSLGA and members done by Winnie Horton as the Archivist.
2003 70th anniversary of the Nova Scotia Ladies' Amateur Championship
2005 Ruth Maxwell won both the Amateur and Senior Championships held at Abercrombie Golf Club
2005 Nova Scotia Ladies’ Golf Association amalgamated with the NSGA.